This was the scene at the Western entrance to the Solent at 11:30 this morning. We expected to see far fewer yachts, as they needed to get out before the tide turned and should have cleared Hurst Narrows by 1o:00. Unfortunately, there was very little wind and only the very early starters had done so, probably by the skin of their teeth.We watched as a large proportion of the fleet made little progress, some backwards and quite a few turned and headed back with the flood. Better to retire then I guess, than after 9 hours of frustration, possibly accompanied by frazzled skin or sunstroke. It's been a beautiful day, about 26 degress, sunny throughout and unfortunately, without enough puff to fill a spinnaker.
Other than those tacking out away from the kerfuffle for cleaner air, which was a good move from where we were standing, only a few yachts seemed to be slowly gaining pace. This was the scenario for the entire race. At times, the wind dropped to nothing, leaving everyone becalmed.
I'm glad I wasn't there. It would have been maddening.
I have a 'Round the Island' forehead this afternoon. We spent the rest off the day looking at various cars (YAWN, we were both bored out of our minds, but had to do it), driving around with the roof off and I've caught a few too many rays. I am sitting here, blooging with a ton of yoghurt slapped on. We're supposed to be going out in a couple of hours, I just hope it calms down or I'll have to wear a balaclava.

3 comments:
Cos it's great!
All those sails lined up that way remind me of a row of crocodile teeth. ;-)
'Ware the rays, young lady!
LOL, T. We do have lots of crocodiles, so they could be easily mistaken for yots. I know, silly me, still, I'm not burnt, just a little pink xxxxx
Post a Comment