Sunday, April 23

How do you like your eggs?

I like mine red
Although many people use different colours to decorate eggs, the traditional colour is red. Armenian Orthodox still dye theirs the old way, by boiling them with red onion skins and vinegar. Most Greeks buy their dye from the supermarket. I got mine from a dodgy Russian shop in town.
After Resurrection Mass, people go home and eat Magiritsa (an egg lemon soup with lamb offal and lettuce, not for me), tsoureki (a fragrant bread) and eggs. Before the eggs are eaten, there is the traditional challenge of 'tsougrisma'. After choosing a winner, you hold the egg and tap it on your opponent's, saying 'Christos Anesti' (Christ is risen). Then, you turn it round to the other side and your opponent taps your egg this time, saying 'Alithos Anesti (He truly is risen). The one left with the unscathed egg wins!
On Easter Sunday, almost everybody has lamb (apart from those who have high cholesterol levels, they have goat usually). The lamb is either roasted on a spit, the neighbourhood bakery oven, or at home. Mine was cooked in the kitchen and was not whole. I wasn't tempted to spit roast an entire lamb on the balcony.
We also had tzatziki, salad, spanakopita (spinach pie) and cheese. I made a pan of chips cooked in olive oil too (this is because I am a Philistine) and it was all rather lovely. Fur has also eaten some almond halvas (a honey and sesame sweet). Foolhardy after so much food, in my opinion. I just hope it doesn't make him feel sick, but it's Easter afterall and another excuse to eat until stuffed.
Ah well, Christos Anesti and until next year.

9 comments:

Cheshire Cat said...

It all sounds lovely and delish! (except for the offal, magiritsa, which at first I read as 'margharita', heh).

Your eggs came out beautifully, lass! :-D

Pat said...

Is this a duplicate message? I hope not! My computer suddenly glitched on me with all sorts of beeping noises and the message I was working on disappeared. Oh well. Anyway ... what a lovely color of red on those eggs! Thanks for sharing how it is done. And the meal sounds heavenly...I'm drooling!

Fuff said...

T - Ha ha. The margharitas are quaffed after the magiritsa. I've had one too many of those nights after eggs and spanakopita at home.
No red fingers!!

EC- Thanks! I didn't dye them naturally..I bought some from shop and did it. Lazy me.

rob said...

Ah ha! Evanthia`s mum does hers very artistically with a base coat first and then small leaves attached to them with flour and water and held in place ( before dipping a second time) with a piece of tightly tied tights around them, then the tights and the leaves are carefully taken off and they leave a nice patten on then I think I will have a go at making mine look like marble for next year ( that way I should win the egg breaking competition, just by frightening my oponent :o)), ) I could use a broody hens egg made of china Tee Heee! but its not about the taking part is it? its about the winning? no thats not right is it???ah well I can dream!

SC said...

I didn't know you were Greek, Fuffster. What does it feel like? Is it painful? Tee hee. Don't worry, I'm from Newcastle, Bradford, Ireland and Switzerland. Just try to imagine how that must feel. One thing I always say though is

Down with the monarchy!!!

PS Are you sure you're not feeling a bit clucky, what with all this talk of eggs and being up the stick?

:)

Fuff said...

No, that's just your twisted mind taking things into a context of their own SC!

SC said...

Pants on fire, pants on fire! You just said 'I could be persuaded'!

Fuff said...

Yes, to go up the mast. Hmmm.

SC said...

Ohmygosh, Fuff, what's happened to your pants? Oh, they're on fire!

: P