H2ErkI was pleased I put full wet weather gear on before going out today, as we got quite wet. It was breezy, but not too bad, about 15-20 knots, but a spring tide was ebbing like the clappers. Wind over tide (when the wind and tide are coming from opposite directions) causes more sea state than if wind is with tide.
We had planned to have lunch as we sailed. This was not going to happen. That is, it could easily have happened if we fancied washing our food down with the odd gobful of seawater.
As we got out into the Solent, it all calmed down, the island protecting the water from the SE'erly wind. We tacked for home with the turn of the tide, as we were slightly bedraggled and downwind this time, settled the boat so that we could have a bite to eat.
In the morning, as we went out, people were rushing to get home. This made for quite a lot of vessel dodging. One very nice man helming a RIB, rushed very closely past us, whilst I was on the foredeck sorting out a sail and his wash, along with the very rolly, choppy sea state, caused us to plummet into a large wave. The bow of the boat crashed through and I was up to my waist in water. Fortunately, I stayed dry, as the water is still very cold.
Sin didn't come out today, he's still sulking about being left on the boat last night.
I didn't get the chance to take many pics, as I was busy hanging on and trying to keep my face dry. There was no way I was going to use my SLR and the waterproof camera's lense kept getting sprayed.
We had planned to have lunch as we sailed. This was not going to happen. That is, it could easily have happened if we fancied washing our food down with the odd gobful of seawater.
As we got out into the Solent, it all calmed down, the island protecting the water from the SE'erly wind. We tacked for home with the turn of the tide, as we were slightly bedraggled and downwind this time, settled the boat so that we could have a bite to eat.
In the morning, as we went out, people were rushing to get home. This made for quite a lot of vessel dodging. One very nice man helming a RIB, rushed very closely past us, whilst I was on the foredeck sorting out a sail and his wash, along with the very rolly, choppy sea state, caused us to plummet into a large wave. The bow of the boat crashed through and I was up to my waist in water. Fortunately, I stayed dry, as the water is still very cold.
Sin didn't come out today, he's still sulking about being left on the boat last night.
I didn't get the chance to take many pics, as I was busy hanging on and trying to keep my face dry. There was no way I was going to use my SLR and the waterproof camera's lense kept getting sprayed.
6 comments:
Nope, not that I mind lounginging around becalmed every now and then!
I'm never going to volunteer myself for sailing in the Irish Sea ta. Apart from mebbe Cork Week one day which doesn't count.
There's nothing quite like getting smacked in the face with a nice juicy wave on an early spring day to give you an appetite.
Whoa! Look at 'em waves! *green gilled*
You know, there's just something about "not so calm" waters. Thrilling! Exciting! Commands you to live. Dares you to come out of your comfort zone. When I lived near Lake Michigan, the times it truly made me feel on top of the world was when it was misbehaving just a bit, daring me to misbehave with it. And as a child I always preferred loud, raucous, chaotic thunder storms to quiet showers.
Tillerman, how right you are!
T - You reckon? I've never been seasick on a yacht, but I have on a ferry. I think it had something to do with strong perfume smells and an orange, patterned carpet.
EC- Are you sure you're not a sailor?
LOL Fuff - only in me heart, I reckon!
Post a Comment