The little Volvo keelboat I saw this morning was as close as I was getting to sailing today.The alarm clock had been set to early, so as to finish the day's work by lunchtime and get out on the water.
All morning we had cloud, broken by brightness and the odd glimpse of blue. The wind; nothing to get over excited about at around 10 knots, but perfect for spinnaker practice.
After yesterday's trog to Bath, albeit an enjoyable trog, we were both keen to get out there. I had filled the coolbag with falafel, tortilla chips, houmous, baby quiches (far too young to be away from their mums in my opinion) and other nibbles.
As we left the marina entrance, I felt a drop of water on my wrist. I thought nothing of it, putting it down to spray and continued to store the fenders down below.
By the time I looked up to see where the wind was coming from, my face was rather rudely spattered by what could only be rain. A LOT of rain.
We tried to stick it out for a while but it just got heavier and heavier, as did the mood.
Eventually, without a word, Fur turned the boat 180 degrees. I didn't need to ask where we were going and acknowledged his motion as I re-attached the fenders to the boat.
We waited at home for the weather to clear, closely watching all of the weather sites we use, but it just didn't stop until around 6pm.
It's been a difficult day. Tempers have been somewhat frayed with frustration. A few glasses of good red wine, nibbles and a grumble later and all is fixed. They would have tasted so much better, had we eaten them onboard.
2 comments:
Damn - what a bummer! Glad everyone's OK now though. Good stuff, wine!
Charlie - I have no desire to go sailing in the orrid weather kicking up here right now. Good idea tho and much nicer than being out on the water.
Pat - I rather like wine, it however appears to rather dislike me.
Post a Comment