The Volvo Ocean Race is allegedy the toughest sporting event in the world.Formerly known as the Whitbread Round the World Race, it's comprised of 9 legs of extreme ocean racing, adding up to a total of around 32,700 miles, plus inshore races at the end of each leg.
The yachts used for the race are Volvo Open 70's. They are bigger than the previous Open 60, by 10%, yet weigh the same due to the use of carbon fibre in the hull's structures.
They are VERY fast yachts, capable of over 30 knots whilst running downwind and remind me of completely bonkers wakeboards, crewed by loonies, who's main crutch in life is adrenaline and the love of the sport. To become crew in the Volvo is a dream for many a racer.
I don't like to wax lyrical about news events, so will try to keep it brief, but as a sailor, the events of the last day have touched me particularly.
Last night in the Atlantic, around 1500 miles off Plymouth, England. The chap in the photo, Hans Horrevoets, a Dutchman, was swept overboard the Volvo Open 70, ABN Amro Two.
The weather was not good (around 30 knots of wind), it was dark and the boat was doing 20 knots.
He was recovered 40 minutes later. Many attempts were made to resuscitate the 32 year old father but he unfortunately died.
Many people are already speculating about the reasons for the man overboard. The rules state that at night and in rough weather, all must be clipped on (attached to the boat) so that in the event that a wave sweeps across the decks, crew may be hurt, perhaps even seriously as they often are in these races, but not lost over the side. This has happened before during these and many other races, the list is long. The rules were made for this reason as crew have been lost and some, never found. Man overboards on cruising boats also happen, probably more often than on racing yachts.
I don't want to speculate. I would rather wait and learn the facts. Many would jump the gun and say that lack of responsibility has claimed the life of yet another sailor. What is a fact, is that his family and friends will be devastated, as well as the rest of the crew and the skipper of ABN Amro Two.
Sailing is a dangerous sport if one takes risks. These races would not exist if risks were not taken and all who take part know them well.
On a personal level (hence my posting), losing another person, or myself over the side is my only real fear and something I endeavour to prevent, whenever sailing. Once in the water, it can be very difficult, if not impossible to find the man overboard, especially at night and in rough weather. People wear harnesses that attach them to the boat. Lifejackets are little use at night and in bad conditions. When the sea temperature is low, it's a race against very little time to find the casualty and treat them before either Neptune claims them, or they die of hypothermia once recovered.
The Volvo yachts are out there tonight, fighting severe gales on their way to Portsmouth. They have a couple of days to go and spirits will be more than dampened in the light of such a tragic loss. They still have to finish and the race continues, though probably not for ABN Amro Two.
I wish them fairer winds, a safe return to dry land and peace and comfort to Hans and his family.
6 comments:
No, no! This is too much. Jessica, and now Hans? Why the young ones? It's supposed to be the old fogies like me. Would rather it be me. Not young folks. Dammit dammit. Heavy heart going out to his young family.
So sad.
We were talking aboout this last night.
Greater sailors than him have been lost! "Tabary" (spelling?) to name but one. Im so sad for his family! not him, he knew the risk, and we who take them should just take a moment to ask ourselves how we (if we could )would feel about our families, if such an event were to happen to us. Maybe we would take better care of ourselves. I was "lost" in a severe squall/storm off Selsey bill only a few of miles from shore. I had a wet suit and my health and swam ashore eventually. It was still terrifying. Similarily I was left at the Edison lighthouse for some hours whilst the dive boat decided that I was missing, and was eventually picked up, again teffifying ( with some 14 miles to swim and full diving equipment to carry, it would have been unlikely that I would have jetisonned it unless really, really! necessary) . these incidences are usually down to incompitence or a lack of firm proceedures. I have to say that my experiences were many years ago and they would not be repeated in todays world (hopefully).
I do also note that the world record breaking young lady (Helen Mcarthey) was running around her deck without a safety harness or line during her trip, we all get complacent dont we? Truly a very sad day for Yachting and an even more sad day for his family, May your God bless them all. :o(( such a waste.
This is very sad, my condolances go out to Hans Horrevoets family and friends, I know this site isnt officialy anything to do with them but we are all a sailing family and I am sure that at times like these the sailing-blogosphere gets closer.. and that helps those involved a little..
Fuff: I don't know if you ever heard White Squall by Stan Rogers, a fabulous Canadian folk singer who heroically gave his life over two decades ago saving passengers from a burning Air Canada jet in Cincinnati, or someplace.
The song deals with a young sailor being swept overboard during a Great Lakes squall. Tear rendering music. Email me and I'll try to upload the song to you.
Maritime people share your grief.
How terrible!
My thoughts are with Hans's family, the sailing community, too.
You and Fur take care, and same to the rest of you sailing bloggers.
Post a Comment