Tuesday, August 22

Tell me why...

I looked outside at twilight this evening, then looked at the time on my phone. 2030. Summer is on her way out again.
I loathe Autumn. When the nights really begin to draw in and the clocks go back, I watch the calendar in my effort to count down the days until they finally, slowly start to get longer.
I suppose I don't mind Winter, once December is out of the way. Sailing in the Solent, ice on the decks first thing and togged up to the nostrils in flappy fleece hats and 43 layers can be fantastic, albeit somewhat constraining. We rarely lay up for more than three weeks at a time and marina growth is slow during the cold months. Anyhoo, who wants to antifoul in the middle of Winter? Not me, ta.
For lots of people, Autumn is a time for getting together with friends and family after Summer holidays and to start planning for Christmas (erk). Most of my friends and family are sailors and either hibernate... or impatiently chomp at the bit through to Spring.
This year, I'm going to try to enjoy it, but I say this every year, usually until someone really pisses me off. Doesn't take much I'm afraid, especially over Christmas arrangements (how is it that someone who has been horrible to you all year expects you to drop everything in the name of turkey....hmm)?
A few suggestions as to how to get through to March without scowling on a regular basis would be greatly appreciated. I have come across individuals through my work who suffer from SAD. I'm not one of em, so praps a few ideas on how not to be a curmudgeonly git would be most useful...

8 comments:

jin said...

Oh, that's SO weird! LOL.
D & I were in the car at 8:30 tonight & I mentioned to him that it was almost dark already!

I like fall, but I also hate when it gets dark so early. :-P

On the other:
"how not to be a curmudgeonly git"
easy...
EAT CHOCOLATE
(or drink alcohol if that's your thing!)
HAHA!

Pat said...

Yeah - what Charlie and Jin said (I especially like the chocolate idea!)

Overboard said...

PLD - so many interpretations.

rob said...

leave england for climates a new (in the winter!) live frugally, visit mexico!!!!! until June 2007

Fuff said...

Jin - Funny isn't it, how we realise things suddenly. Thanks for the suggestions.. definitely good ones :)

Charlie - Perfick, for all year round too!

EC - I think the above two hit the nail on the head too :)

Owen - Do it and stop deleting your posts, grrrrrrr.

Rob - :)

Sarah Letnes said...

You could tell them you've converted to Buddhism. And have a nice stress-free Christmas at home.

Citymouse said...

Autumn is a time of death. Yep sounds bleak. But in most cultures death leads to new life, recreation, and better things. I like to think that with out the death of my most miserable things the best of me would never be born. Thanks for the post; I may need to write my own thoughts. Oh, for March? I do cheesecake for breakfast!

Fuff said...

Sarah - Good idea. I was thinking about telling them I had bird flu..

Citymouse - Cheesecake at any time is perfect :)