Saturday, October 14

Weekends are for relaxing?

Fur: "So we're all having duck, yes?"

Us: "Yep"

Me " You order; half a duck should be fine for 4"

Fur: "Come on, I'm hungry, I'm ordering a whole one"

Me: "It'll be too much, get a half" (Everyone else nods in agreement)

Fur: "No, I don't think so"

Me: (gaelic shrug) "Ok"

Fifteen minutes later, a platter the size of a small city turned up. The Chinese waiter glared at the stupid English and shoved a steamer containing sufficient pancakes to feed the five thousand in my direction; as we laughed out loud.
We managed to make relatively easy work of it and had leftovers for some of my main course, as aside from noodles and beansprouts, I'm not a huge fan of Chinese food.
I asked the scowling waiter for some more pancakes, which he obligingly fetched, despite lifting the steamer's lid in disbelief and shaking his head.
We made it to the end of the meal without falling over and left the restaurant to go home.
On our way out, we passed a very fat, comatosed woman who was on her back on a big leather sofa in the lobby, belly and tonsils exposed. Hmm, I thought. Should have ordered half a duck..
At half past three this morning, after attempting to digest our inpromtu banquet with the assistance of copious amounts of alcohol, we slouched through the front door and passed out for the rest of the night.

This evening, we're going to a party at the 15th century fort in the picture.
It's a naval base, operational since Henry VIII was on the English throne and guards the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour.
Although I'd prefer to stay at home and recover further from last night's binge, we're obliged to go, as my mum invited us and we can't let her down.
I really don't know what to expect. The place will be populated mostly by air force personnel and my thoughts are currently inclined towards some nightmare scenario or another, involving far too much booze/testosterone and the military.
Needless to say, I'm taking my camera, if not for anything other than a nostalgic snap of a lump of cheese or a sausage on a stick.

5 comments:

Pat said...

Oh My! A whole duck for 4? Teeeheee!

Overboard said...

LOL Too funny.
I can just imagine Fur. LOL

Dan said...

It's perfect that you would gorge yourself on duck before visting a fort in operation since Henry VIII! ;)

jin said...

Can't wait to see the pics! :-)

Fuff said...

Pat - Yes indeed :)

Maria - It woz terrible. I won't be eating duck for ages. Fur was quite enthused by the 'whole' thing.

Dan - Indeed ;)

Jin - I got some pics of the cheese and pineapple on sticks but they came out badly and look more like fuzzy fondue. Erk :)

Charlie - Hahahaha! If he does it again, I'm going to let him eat it all himself!