Admittedly, I am fond of Portland Race for the occasional fix of shore side bad weather.The only seafarers out there today, aside from the frigate stonking her way west, were cormorants fishing on the ebb.
My fascination goes as far as to say that the closest inshore we've ever been to the race has been 8 miles and rightly so in my view; it being a bit of a mistake to get stuck anywhere near in adverse tidal conditions and unimaginably bad news should the wind pick up.
I would rather be poked in the eye repeatedly whilst covered in spiders, than cop a close up sight of these waters whilst sailing.


6 comments:
i don't know anything about sailing - but i think the "being poked in the eye repeatedly while covered with spiders" gets your point across perfectly...
You should move to Fiji.
I have to admit that I usually use the inshore channel but it can be unkind now and then. the last time it was a touch foggy and just as I drew level with the light it sounded off for the first time, what with the lobster pot bouys and the horn I was a little startled to say the least, particularily as one can see the rocks below the surface close inshore. A time or two before that I did go through the race at full tilt in a semi deflated rubber dingy in a wet suit having been cast off by so called diving friends ( we had been diving on the "Kiera" which sits virtually in the race) who wanted to see just what happened! I survived ovbiously but sitting in a dingy being supported by the bow and stern on waves and the middle above the water wasnt the most comfortable of rides. I wouldn`t go through the inshore passage in a sail boat though unless slack and on motor, too many bouys too, I would probably need a second engine just for safety. Its a great spot to stand off and watch with its over one metre standing wave and the noise is quite impressive, nature at its most powerful. when diving on the Kiera you enter the water about ten minutes befor slack and by the time you have got down to the wreck you have limited time before its starting to flood or ebb, when you stick your head over the gunnel of the wreck you have to hang on and make for the surface as quickly as poss to be picked up, now you can see why I was left to go through the race, I lost the rescue boat engine (it packed up) there wasn`t much they could really do except watch and laugh nervously!:o))
The sea and stormy weather. Hmmmm. The closest I've come (since I can remember, that is - infanthood doesn't count) is being a spectator on the shores of a stormy Lake Michigan. I actually found it empowering and enlivening - but I was also sane enough to be thankful that I was on shore and merely a spectator, not a participant!
Amy - I could go on, but I find that does it for me..
Maria - LOL! Ah well. The coup has materialised afterall.
Charlie - You can keep em ta :)
Rob - The only sailors I know to take the inshore route are racers who've missed the tide. Even in a motorboat, those rocks look pretty big, close and nasty. Saying that though, on a calm day I can see the appeal as it's flatter than anywhere else close inshore. Your diving experience is enough to make me think about spiders again....
EC- It always is from the shore. Seldom whilst on the water. There's something very reassuring about watching the weather from land.
And me! :o))but it really wasn`t as bad as it sounds!
Post a Comment