Tuesday, March 28

Brighton Rocks (Not)

Had to drive to Brighton this afternoon. I don't know why, but I find the place boring, cold, bleak and boring.
I am not in the jolliest frame of mind, this however would be my sentiment on any other day.
Every time I visit, it's too freezing and windy to go for a walk (I lasted about 20 seconds on the beach earlier) and the sea is always grey. Parking is an absolute nightmare too. The marina is quite impressive, but I am not so sure about the entrance. My guess (Rob), is that one would have to be quite committed to get in with any south or east puffiness in the wind.
I do enjoy the Regency architecture. I find it, however, quite foreboding.
A nasty man called Van Hoogstraten lives there, when he's not in clink (that was irrelevent).
On the way home, I stopped near Chichester to watch the barmy windsurfers, somersaulting in very choppy swell and went down to Itchenor to look at the harbour. In the Summer, we like to pick up a mooring there, buzz ashore and go to The Ship for the evening, then fall into the dinghy, torch in hand and weave our way back to the boat, usually with wet bottoms.

14 comments:

Pynchon said...

The Lanes in Brighton are great!

rob said...

Sorry you didnt enjoy Brighton it wasn`t the right time of year or the right weather and it will never be another "Hornfleur" Yes you do have to be quite committed to get into the entrance but it looks a lot worse than it is. if you are coming from the south, south west with a following sea it can mean that you could meet someone coming out so its best to overshoot and tack back to the southwest and enter with a quartering sea and plenty of view of the entrance (and on the right side of the channel too) rather than roll about while you make the descision. I usually drop the sails before entering and go in on engine ( when I`m sailing of course) but its good to be able to do it with the sails up in case you ever loose your engine. As you pass the inside edge of the breakwater the sea becomes almost instantly calm with a small swell. Its a good safe harbour and Brighton has its fair share of restaurants adn places to visit as wll as a great shopping centre, not exactly all one could want as a sailor:o)).

Fuff said...

I think I'll give Brighton another go. I'm being far to hard on the place.

Overboard said...

My grandfather was the surveyor for the Pavillion and Pier when they were being upgraded.
Tee hee.

Pynchon said...

Thanks for the return comment, and yes, you should try it again. In the summer. It is nice.

Fuff said...

Thanks chaps, I will give it a try.

Cheshire Cat said...

Don't forget to drink of the waters for your health. Ahem. ;-)

Fuff said...

I've put that on me list, T.

Cheshire Cat said...

Make sure to stock up on stomach settlers before you partake of l'eau de Brighton. ;-)

Fuff said...

Will do!

crallspace said...

Sort of reminds me of the Oregon Coast...

rob said...

I don`t think that the spa is still available although they do speak about it in the museum, along with Bathing machines and ladies in those awful swimming costumes, scooters, mods, etc, they also have a great "Dali piece" there in the form of the red lips setee, which I last saw at Figuerus (Dali`s own museum)by way of a short break from a boat delivery, I do love Dali`s work and find the early as well as the late examples quite fascinating. He really could paint
(classically) too, when he wanted too and set his mind to it.

Ellee Seymour said...

I'm planning to head for Brighton soon, where would you recommend I head for? My mum needs some R&R so I plan to take her there for a break, her first visit to Brighton.

We want to stay in a nice hotel and be pampered, but doesn't cost the earth.


I always love North Norfolk, so unspoilt. I can recommend ALL the places to head for, send me a blog if interested.

rob said...

I spent some time in North Norfolk ( nice place) but unfortunately in "correction" as a young boy! Swaffham or Necton or Tackleneston? maybe, on a chicken and dairy farm as it was then :o))