Thursday, March 9

No Title

So, the next couple of weeks are probably going to have their ups and downs methinks. I have two funerals to go to, my cousin's and Fur's grandfather's (he died on Friday last, bless him, but was 86, a proper age).
I feel a bit selfish about not wanting to go. The last funeral I went to was of another cousin that had died prematurely at 32, about 6 years ago. It was in Greece and was the worst experience I have ever had. If you haven't been to a Greek funeral, you won't know what I mean. An already dreadfully tragic and upsetting event had spiralled totally out of control. Some of the family had been carted off to hospital, the atmosphere was hysterical and I found it very difficult to cope with it all. I have since found the prospect of going to another quite daunting.
Both cousins were older than myself. The kind of family members that young children look up to and nick make up from. I remember getting such a rollocking one Christmas for using up all of Lindsay's new lipstick in one night with her younger sister of my age. We were in so much trouble. She was such a pretty girl.
The other, he was a bit of a wag and could always be relied on to organise the best nights out. One Easter Sunday morning, we all pitched up at the time when the fire was being lit by the grown ups for the lambs. We had danced so much all night, that I remember carrying my shoes in one hand as my feet were too sore to even think about wearing them. Our punishment for being such dirty stop outs was to stay up and help with all of the preparations. By the time we sat down to eat, my forehead was nearly touching the table, I just wanted some sleep. It didn't stop us going out that night and doing it all over again though.

10 comments:

Sarah Letnes said...

My most heartfelt consolation to you and Fur. Funerals can be daunting, don't feel guilty.

Fuff said...

Thanks Sarah. Much appreciated.

Cheshire Cat said...

Sending warm regards and lots of cheese wedges and pies: <) <) <) (> (> (> :-)

As Sarah said, funerals are always tough to go to and go through, especially when the deaths are unexpected or when a beloved and/or young person dies.

Your cousins sound like they were great fun; may the memories of those happier times comfort you and yours.

Extra hugs. XXXXXXXXXXX Or are those kissses?

In case I got it wrong, here's the other half: OOOOOOOOOOO

Fuff said...

Thanks again T, your messages really cheer me up.

Cheshire Cat said...

Glad if I could help summat. :0)

SC said...

I don't think you're shellfish for not wanting to go Fuff. Instinctive self-protection, that's all. Perfectly healthy and normal. And as T said, your cousins both sound like they lived life to the full, bless them. There will be lots of other people going anyway. So I would see how you feel, be gentle with yourself, and do what feels ok.

rob said...

I always give funerals a miss if I can as I don`t like them one bit either, I won`t even go to my own if I can help it. I find it hard to remember that funerals are really for the living and being there to support each other is supposed to be the reason I guess? (respect) , its part of the grieving process and lays some finality to the passing. my thought will be with you both whatever you decide to do, chin up, its quite natural to cry at such occasions, I bet there will be many tears, big hugs from us here!

rob said...

Whers the bloody S gone on "Thoughts" I am getting fed up with this blogging lark! yea right!

Fuff said...

Thanks for the comments chaps, they really do make me feel better. I guess I'll wait and see..

Fuff said...

Rob, you are joking aren't you?