Ever tried to put off a lunch you are almost obliged to go to? I been trying for weeks to find a serious enough excuse to avoid today's.Someone in my department is leaving tomorrow. She is a nice enough person and I've always got on with her. I signed the card and chipped in for the present and would gladly have sat down for a bite to eat if it were with her and a few others. Not another twenty five people from other areas, most of whom I would usually avoid altogether, let alone 'socialise' over food with. Socialising with people from work is a no-no as far as I'm concerned.
So, off I trundled to the Mexican cruderie, the obligatory cloud of dread in tow.
The sense of duty lasted for forty minutes.
I just couldn't stand it. I began to make the kind of observations that only a distracted or bored person would make from the moment I sat down.
The waitresses looked as though they hadn't washed their hands for a week, let alone before touching my food, a bloody awful burrito-come-fajita, filled with sludge and slippery chicken. One of them could have been in a Wham video. Incidentally, my food, along with another's, pitched up after everyone elses, so I was forced to sit and wait, whilst the rest clattered away at their plates. How considerate, I thought.
I looked at my glass, tempted to drink the mineral water I had ordered straight out of the bottle, just to be sure it was clean.
I picked at the food, wincing at the greasy sheen on the plate that caught the light, put my knife and fork together, napkin folded on top and hot footed it out of there as quickly as possible.
There is a good side to the afternoon. One of my close colleagues gave me a lovely card, with a picture of a classic racing yacht on it. It folds into a viewer, where upon looking through the lenses, the yacht and sea come to life as a beautiful three dimensional image.
There. I can't be that much of an intolerent, cynical, miserable swine, can I?
I have since made up for the grim plate of dross with a delectable strawberry cheesecake. I feel almost normal.
6 comments:
That restaurant, and the company, sounds positively dreadful!
That cheesecake, on the other hand, looks positively, SINfully delightful!!
Come to think of it - are you sure you want Sin that close to it?? :))
*nicking nicking*
Sorry for the horrid outing and food. >:-p I avoid all work-related social functions on and off site, too. Guess I'm just curmudgeony and anti-social that way, eh? ;-)
Still, glad you had a nice dessert with LOVELY bunny company. :-D
EC - I trust Sin around cheesecake. He only really likes boozy puds.
T - Ta. I feel like less of an insular misery thanks to that.
I don't think I'd trust the steak and kidney pie in Guadalajara either.
He he.
Well I think you should be ashamed of yourself. Don't you have any taste whatsoever? Wham were one of the best bands of all time.
Post a Comment