Wednesday, April 19

Dinner with the Crazy 88's (a la Chinese)

Peking duck, or a lack of...

Right. Dinner good. Surroundings dubious, bordering on dangerous.

Bearing in mind that the restaurant is a five minute walk from home and we went there for the first time tonight, upon recommendation from a trusted friend. We had our reasons for avoiding it. We were right.

The food was excellent, fabulous, in fact outstanding (Fur's critique/opinion. I dislike Chinese food but the few dishes I had were good). What was not so outstanding was the populous of local (possibly international) gangsters and Triad that apparently patronise this establishment. I've had my doubts about the place, mostly due to the continous presence of a fleet of black S500 Mercs parked outside. We were a bit peturbed by the aged Chinese gents, accompanied by numerous minders, who stood above them, smoking and generally scowling at the rest of the restaurant. They also drew lots; for what, I haven't a clue.
Just as we thought the atmosphere couldn't be more threatening, in strolled the British criminal contingent. Snapping fingers for bottle after bottle, after bottle of Kristal.
Needless to say, we shut up, kept our heads down, paid the bill after enjoying our nose bag and buggered off with some haste to the haven and sanctity of the yacht club, where upon we encountered a one hundred and eighty degree cultural swing with the company of the 'Old and Bold.'
'Twas quite reassuring to be amongst the company of a 125th birthday party.
Whoo hoo, whoo hoo hoo.

I don't usually like Chinese food, but this was a refreshing and different experience

8 comments:

Overboard said...

Yum!

nanuk said...

I hope the restaurant was far away from the marina you mentioned in Sunday's post.

Fuff said...

Nanuk, the restaurant is five minutes away. I'm surprised there are any ducks left but there are.I may well swipe a few if they keep me up at night with their quacking much longer.

Cheshire Cat said...

Me = lurvest Asian food.

Me = big sack of food

Fuff said...

He he. You would have liked this. It was 14 quid a head, to order whatever and as much as you wanted from a menu of over ninety dishes.

Cheshire Cat said...

90 dishes?!

I'm stuffed just thinking about it!

But 14 quid is a fab deal, esp for Peking duck!

Sarah Letnes said...

You took your camera out in the mobster restaurant? You are a very brave woman.

Fuff said...

Sarah - We were further into the meal when they arrived. The camera didn't come back out, so not brave at all!