The delay of our new mainsail is causing no end of irritation.
We've lost two weekends, not great stay away days but day sails at least. The time lost has been filled pottering on the boat, finishing odd jobs, just to be sure that we're ready to let go when it arrives.
The sailmakers say Wednesday. I'm hoping for Friday.
Funnily enough, it's now coming to the point where it's not the absence of a new sail, but other people who are beginning to annoy me. We could always go with one of the old sails, the point was, however, to start with the new and that's what we've been waiting for.
Marinas are quite sociable places. People are always coming and going, some more than others, ourselves included, as we live here.
There's a man and his wife who live aboard their yacht, not far from ours. We're on 'good morning' terms with them. Recently, the man has taken, for the second year running, to making comments about what we do with our boat. This was taken quite lightly at first, but I am starting to get a tad crotchety about it. I am fed up to the back teeth of being told that instead of working on the boat, we should be out sailing. The comments occur on almost a daily basis. 'We are waiting for a sail' , I have told him. That would shut anyone else up, but not him. He keeps on and on and I'm going to tell him to piss off if I hear another word. I don't tell him what to do with his boat, or that he really ought to brush his hair every now and then (meow).
Last year he did the same. We sail most evenings and every weekend in the summer, weather permitting. The guy must have been standing on his after deck every day, waiting for one of us to go down to the boat so that he could walk by and say 'you should get out sailing more'.
Well, I'd had enough last year too and one evening in the yacht club (rah), under the influence of a considerable amount of wine, I told him to mind his own business. He apologised and that was that.
Apparently, he has the memory of a goldfish, or perhaps he just enjoys making smarmy arsed comments. Either way, it's going to stop.
Note: Seb, if you read this, I want you to know that it's a royal yacht club. Tee hee.
8 years ago
10 comments:
You could always try turning the tables on him: start riding him constantly about he should really...
--do more with his boat rather than just sailing all the time;
--it's really starting to go to pot, you know;
--ownership entails a certain amout of responsibility, you know
--does he ever do any repairs or maintenance -
that sort of thing! When he finally blows indignant at all the insults - say sweetly "I'll stop when you do!!"
Yes, yes - 'tis childish indeed - I know. But sometimes childish can be so rewarding!
Charlie - He is, I plan on doing exactly that if he does it again.
EC- His boat could do with a bit of attention, I'll let him know!
Chloe - Sad isn't it.
He lives on his yacht? I've noticed that many people think that everyone should live they way they are living.
Parents especially seem to think that the childless are terminally stupid for not having their own sprogs, and the wonders of being a parent must be extolled to them ad nauseam. It’s a disease, and I think we need an anti-smug pill to cure it.
You're getting crotchety - you should get out sailing more.
LOL, argh.
When you have finally got your sail and are ready to go out sailing! knock on his boat and report to him that for his information you are now about to go sailing! if he says anything or asks why you are telling him politely say that he expressed an interest and had asked to be informed ,which you are doing! then walk away and cast off without looking over your shoulder. He would have to be a thick "person" not to get your point. Oh! and by the way, mention about his Absolutely Horrid little bit of sun bleached teak or hull scraches and mention that you know a good man (me ) who can fix them for him when he`s ready, as they seem to have been like that for a while! :o))
Grrrrrr to him!
Rob - I was storing the bit about the teak coming away from his taff rail, have you been reading my mind?
T - Grrr indeed!
Te Heee! doesnt every boat with teak on it have a bit coming away from the taff rail then? :o))
OH YEAH?
Post a Comment