Tuesday, May 2

A Trip to the Dark Side

Overtaking the Red Funnel Fast Cat service at thirty five knots isn't something I'm used to. Sixteen and a bit is the most we have ever managed (which was unpleasant and scary in a gale) and that's fast for a boat that uses flappy things as the main source of propulsion.
Always willing to try something once, we went out for a blast on a friend's RIB earlier.
Initially, although I trust my friend at the helm (he's an instructor), I admit to being quite terrified. Then, after a short spell of flashing scenes of disaster rushing through my mind at a speed much quicker than the boat could ever go, I relaxed and began to enjoy the ride.
It was lumpy. The wind has been blowing hard from the South all morning, so my freshly dried tresses are now a tangled mess (hat wouldn't stay on) and I have had my first gargle of seawater this year.
It was fun to helm too, albeit strange, but I really enjoyed standing at the wheel, grinning from ear to ear as I was urged to push the boat faster and faster...

Fast
Faster
Erk
Mootha!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good grief, Fuff ... can't stop laughing! What went overboard at "Mootha!"?? Something had to have gone overboard? The camera? You? The instructor? Tee hee ...

Fuff said...

Charlie - I'm sure you know all too well :)

EC- Me, nearly. The white knuckles don't show up in the pic!

Cheshire Cat said...

Lol, Fuff! Great story in pics. Well, not great, great (sorry for your terror), but it captured everything in a few snaps. :-)

What is RIB?

Fuff said...

RIB means rigid inflatable boat, T. The pics serve the initial terror I experienced very well indeed. Fortunately, I chilled out about it soon afterwards, otherwise, I'd still be limping!