Have you ever wondered what it is that makes people look the other way? I often do.I was sitting in the Yacht club this afternoon, waiting for Fur to get home and let me in. I left my own keys in the car and was stuck until he arrived. I wasn't in the mood for half skinning myself by trying to get the door to open.
As I sat down I was alone. I brushed my hair and had a quick look in the mirror I carry around just in case I need to go to a meeting, to check whether I have ink on my face, the result of endless doodling at my desk.
The bar opened and a few people strolled in, all looking for aquaintances of their own, far too busy to acknowledge a stranger. I smiled at one or two, but thought better of it as they looked back at me as though I was a bit mad.
The staff arrived, I felt my shoulders loosen as I recognised familiar, friendly faces.
How could it be that so close to home, I could feel isolated? The world outside my front door seemed like a much bigger place than I had ever felt for a moment.
6 comments:
i feel like that all the time here. it's a bit worse though because -as you know-greeks don't look the other way, they stare at you as if you were an alien.
Living in a small town it is a point of rudeness to ignore anyone, even a complete stranger included. But when you get to the big city and smile at everyone you meet walking down the sidewalk you certainly get some weird stares. I think it's the sheer volume of people in urban areas that makes us ignore others.
Awww! Wish I'd been there to paint your toenails.
I know what you are saying Fuff - been there wondering the same thing too many times myself! At work I walk down the hallways saying hello to everyone I cross paths with (even if I don't know them). This seems to be a source of great confusion, embarrassment and consternation for many - as tho they don't know how to deal with the fact that another human being acknowledged their existence! I repeat this scene, with much the same results, while I'm driving, while at the store, in waiting rooms ... always with the same results. Very odd and perplexing, I think.
I had all my staff taught about "Proxemics" which is the way that people react to each other and the way that some races touch more and others don`t look at you(and when they do your in trouble) so never tell a certain race to "look at me when Im talking to you" for the obvious reason! obviously nobody who passed you had such skills otherwise they would hahve confidently looked you square in the eyes and said " who the F8ck you grinning at? you mental or something???? Not really but it is worth a try (proxemics that is )I used to go and sit in a train carriage with only one woman in it I would always choose the seat next to hers. I could then guess just how long it would be before she moved. the same with the gents I would go and use the urinal next to the only person in there and again they would clear off quickly! I have a whole list of rotton things I learnt to do in the name of Proxemic experiment, and walking past a lone lady sitting waiting for her keys wouldnt have been one of them! dont ever feel alone Fuff you have all of us to talk too! :o))
Hmmmm - "Proxemic experiments". Gives a warped mind like mine all sorts of places to go!! ...
Post a Comment