Monday, June 5

Suicidal Canines

Earlier this afternoon, I remembered something that happened yesterday morning as I was drinking my coffee and gazing out the window.
I was watching a springer spaniel tear around like a loony, usual behaviour so nothing out of the ordinary, but always fun to watch.
As I took a sip out of my mug, I looked up and saw it throw itself off the marina wall (a drop of about 15 feet as the tide was out) and land with a yelp at the shallow end, in an area where rocks are just under the surface at low water.
I gasped. Fur, having seen it happen too, quickly put his shoes on and rushed downstairs. I could see the dog swimming without any signs of being seriously injured whilst his owners frantically searched for a way to get to him. The marina is secure, so a passer by would not have been able to get onto the pontoon to pull him out of the water.
Fortunately, he was alright. He managed to climb up some stone steps, squeeze through the railings and once he shook the excess water off his coat (over someone else of course), continued to charge around as before. I would have put him on a lead myself to make sure he couldn't do it again, should he fancy chasing anything else off the edge.
There is another spaniel here (a cocker), this one belonging to a family that has a boat on the marina.
As I trotted down to find Fur and tell him the dog had managed to find a way out, I had a quick chat with the lady that owns him.
Apparently, if of a spaniely dispostion, it is not unusual to launch onself after virtually anything chasable, without looking first. Theirs had done the same thing a few weeks back, off a promenade, in hot pursuit of a seagull he quite fancied a pop at. His jump, around 20 feet, landing on sand.
This of course terrified them and they will not be in any hurry to let him off his lead again, if there's anything nearby that the little sod can hurl himself off.
Before yesterday, I was convinced that spaniels are bonkers (albeit fabulous bonkers) and that training one properly is like trying to harness the power of the sun. I now have proof.

8 comments:

x said...

poor doggy. i dedicate this song to him: Crazy (by Gnarls Barkley).

Anonymous said...

I had a cocker spaniel - daft as a brush, but I loved her dearly. As a puppy she slipped her collar and dashed towards the cliff edge at Lizard Point in Cornwall, vaulted the wall and took off over a 100 ft cliff. She landed on a ledge about 20 ft from the top and lay, seemingly dead. I ran down to the foot of the cliffs and climbed up (climbing down was NOT an option). I found her winded, but still alive and carried her to the top by the scruff of her neck in my teeth, needing both hands to climb.
Twenty years later, I was duty Captain on a Search and Rescue helicopter flight in Pembrokeshire. We were asked tentatively by Her Majesty's Coastguard if there was anything we could do for a dog stuck on a cliff ledge by a caravan park near St Davids. We went on a "training sortie" and with the winchman approaching the casualty from below, the dog jumped into thin air. He caught her and brought her up to her very relieved owners on the cliff top. The breed? Spaniel....

Pat said...

Fuff: I must (and will) share this story with my coworker! She was just yesterday telling me of her woes with her 2 dogs. Neither of them are Spaniels - but still in all this story (and Seadog's as well) should go a long way to making her feel much better! Having two dog 'characters' myself, I can totally relate and am thrilled you shared this story - as, I'm certain, my friend will be!

Seadog: What amazing stories ... Wow! I'm glad both dogs are OK!

Overboard said...

It's so funny. You are addicted to blogging. Just like what I used to be.
Teee heeeee.
Haro from Israel and Nadia's Dad's home.

Overboard said...

Tee hee.....that's a funny story. Reminded me of my stepfather's dog, Rinti, who hung himself after jumping over a fence that was higher than the lead he was tied to.

rob said...

A few years ago I noticed a Great Dane scraping at the wall of a flight of steps desperately trying to keep afloat and find a way out of the green slimy water,(in Millbay dock Plymouth) I walked down the also slimy steps and kneeling over the side of the steps to grab the "Danes" collar and heave him around the side and on to the bottom of said steps so he could actually climb the steps. He then did so using me (in my best "pub gear")to aid his climb. as soon as he was clear of the slime he shook, much to the amusement of my Wife. :o))

Fuff said...

Charlie - Spaniels and boats are a match made in heaven.

Chloe - Woof :)

Seadog - Poor pup. I hope she didn't scare you too often. Welcome aboard.

EC - Come on then, tell us some doggie stories....

Maria - Haro. It's all your fault. Poor pup btw. Do it, do it.

Rob - LOL, I bet you looked like you'd been for a swim, instead of the dog.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»