I thought I'd escaped the dreaded mozzie when I left Athens four years ago. I have a swollen bite on my left arm. Not usually one to react to mosquito bites, dirty marina water probably doesn't help (was going to take a picture of it but thought you'd rather I didn't).
I did leave them nasty cockroaches behind however.
I grew up mostly in Greece and have never been able to cope with roaches. No matter how disinfected your apartment block may be, a few every year will manage to fly onto the balcony and get in. They would not only frighten me but leave me so utterly disgusted that I wouldn't eat for a day or so.
My cat was very good at hunting anything that moved.......and would dine upon her catch too.
On one occasion, she brought me a loathsome present in her mouth, still alive. She dropped it and left it until it moved, she looked at me (I was halfway up the wall by this time), then played with the damn thing until she picked it up and considerately took it outside to eat, whereupon the balcony door slammed behind her.
On reflection, it wasn't such a bad thing. I didn't have to kill it and then dispose of its flimsy, shell like corpse, but the cat didn't get a lot affection for a while.
8 years ago
6 comments:
have i told you about the night we were having dinner in the balcony and a huge flying roach attacked me? And M. run inside to save himself and locked me out with the roach?
Men.
Haro,
Are you around for an MSN natter? If so, I can switch from my useless MNS nada laptop, to a normal machine in this net cafe.
Way up here there are no such things as roaches. I don't even know what one looks like.
But mosquitos, on the other hand (and everywhere else on the body) are so thick you can actually inhale them.
Charlie - See, cats are lovely really. This one is.
Maria - I'm hoping to be around for most of the day.
Nanuk - You haven't missed anything not knowing what a roach looks like.
I'm with you Fuff - I despise the horrid things! No fear - just outright hate. I remember bits and parts of living in Mexico (I was a babe when we were living there) and I have memories of the lizards climbing the walls (very common place, and they are allowed to do this because they help with pest control). Oddly enough, that never freaked me out - but put me on the same continent as a roach and I'm certain folks on the next continent can hear my screeches!
When I lived in the city I could always tell when a neighbor was spraying insecticide,all their roaches would run into my apartment. Dizzy loved them, chased them and ate them but I think it shortened her life somewhat injesting all that bugspray residue.
Post a Comment