I've heard quite a few accounts of Saturday's storm from friends who were out in it.One yacht was struck off Yarmouth and suffered moderate damage, boats struggled through 30-45 knots of the huge squalls, horizontal rain and visibility of about 10 metres, lightning striking all round.
The general concensus was wet, blowy and scared witless.
All this in 10 minutes. I was impressed.
We went out on Sunday for a play in some decent breeze (10-20 knots that gradually dropped off) and only had to deal with one squall that gave us enough time to get the sail down. I forgot my SLR and the waterproof boat camera was having a bad hair day, so couldn't get any pictures.
The Needles looked so serene and lovely today. You'd never know that when the weather is bad here, the conditions can be some of the worst in the Channel. We've been through on a bad day and at one point, I was convinced that I was going to die.
Sailing, some say, can be described as hours of boredom, interjected by moments of sheer terror...
4 comments:
LOL, Charlie.
Aw, cute bunny.
:-D
I love them Jin :)
Friends of ine were out off Old Harry in their rib and encountered horizontal rain and high winds! she was sitting in the bow pointing out to him at the tiller where the rain hurt less! even now when they relate their experience they argue as to whether she was really helping. She claims that she was as she was wearing only a Bikini at the time and he a "t" shirt and trunks that he wouldnt part with! the only reason they didnt open up and make for the shore was that they really couldnt see anything.
Post a Comment