A short drive from home to go for some shopping turned into a trip to Lulworth Cove today.These are the best days out, the unplanned ones and for the sake of sitting in air conditioning for most of the time, a good choice.
As we crossed from Poole to Studland, I could see literally hundreds of people on the beach, sunbathing and paddling, most sensible enough not to bother risking an almost certain Norman embarkation by getting caught in the tide if swimming.
Lulworth is a pretty place. It's full of little cottages (I spotted Rose Cottage on the way out Rob) and is a typical example of Dorset's fabulous Jurassic Coast. It was also full of plebs today, notably a couple of blokes that decided to use their mobile phone cameras to take some snaps of me, whilst I was busy taking pics of my own of the scenery. I learned this as I heard Fur mutter something about 'not doing stupid things to annoy people when standing on the edge of a cliff'. Erk.
Behind the serene and picturesque view of the cove lurks a different monster, however.
It's only ever prudent to anchor or pick up a mooring there when the wind is forecast to stay out of the south. I've heard many a woeful tale of late night panic stricken efforts to get out of Lulworth when the wind has decided to come round and puff straight in through the narrow entrance. These nightmare scenarios have kept us out, as we can almost always rely on the wind doing exactly what we don't want it to do, if on a passage.
Another reason to read the pilot book, is the army firing range that often blasts tin cans and stuff out to sea. Remember to keep an ear on the VHF methinks.
On the way out, whilst driving past the range, I did a double take when I spotted a signpost for a 'Cat Firing Point'. This raised a bit more than a smirk....a dream job perhaps for someone?!


15 comments:
Gorgeous photos!
You know it's suprising how little I know our Southern coast - it looks truly beautiful (10 x better than Bridlington) and your photos make me want to visit. Plus I hear there's good ice cream down that way.
Nobody goes to Lulworth any more, it's too crowded.
Charlie - Senit to me if you want to apply and I'll pass it on to the head cat firing honch.
Jin - Thanks! :)
Kieran - There are so many places to visit and the ice cream gets better the further west you go...
Tillerman - LOL
Edina - Hellooooo! We're fine thanks, hope you are well too. Thanks, it would be great to hook up again :)
Fuff (and Charlie): I'm afeard I'm agonna have to offer up a bit of competition to you for the cat position, Charlie. Of late I've been taking matters in hand here and have resorted to fighting our local feral cat problem with a pellet gun since our community council sees fit to do nothing (hmmmm...internal cats obviously aren't tearing up the wiring and piping under their homes, right?). In any event, my aim is quite good now, and we all know I'm always up for a change of scenery!
Spelling error alert: meant to type "infernal cats" - not "internal cats"! DOH... :))
Pat - Ohhhhh nooooo, not me. I like cats!!! Used to have one acshully :)
ooh look at all your comments...yay yayayayyayayayay
Hi Fuff I wish I had never sold it (rose cottage)now!
Just over the cliff of the cove (in your photo) there exists a small chapel that was used throughout the period of "reformation" ( when Henry the eight banned the holy roman church from practising in England and burned all the churches etc) by the local catholic family and the ruins are still there! aren I a fund of knowledge?
I can always count on that Rob :)
But why on earth were those blokes taking pictures of you?
:p
Cos they were stupid and quite obviously don't get out much Seb.
Um, Fuff? You know I was joking? And you know I have no idea what you look like? And yet you take offence???
Noooo! Didn't take offence at all Seb. Was just being erm slightly erm concise. Not like me that issit? :)
Post a Comment