Thursday, September 14

For gardeners and ducks

Scary hovercraft of death
"When the rain's before the wynd, halyards, sheets and topsails mind. When the wynd's before the rain, soon you will set sail again" - Salty Old Sea Dog
I messed around with these pics on Paint Shop Pro, but decided they looked far too cheerful and bright and left them as they were.
Fully aware that the days are getting shorter and that afternoon sailing will soon be forgotten until Spring, we have been casting off as much as possible and in conditions we'd turn our noses up at, if the season was still ahead of us.
Usual scenario; cloudy but bright until 50 metres from the pontoon, then began to feel the ocassional drop on the head, which we expertly ignored and plodded on out regardless.
Had a half decent sail in not enough wind. Not exactly exciting, but was able to dangle my feet over the leeward rail without the risk of being dumped in by a sudden earhole provoking gust.
The water was grey and opaque. Sometimes if I'm on the foredeck, wrestling with the jib, I have to avoid looking down over the side, as I convince myself that something I cannot see is staring at me from below the surface.
I once mentioned this to someone who was onboard at the time and copped one of the strangest looks I have ever received. I could have gone on; especially about the monsters that whisper my name when sailing at night, or my fear of being dragged over the stern by giant squid but thought I'd better leave it at that.

Erk, murk!
And then the rain cometh and the wind bugger offeth
Look, no hands
Clang

6 comments:

Pat said...

Odd that there are folks who don't believe in voices in the wind, or beings who live under the sea or peer from the forest's depths! I remember sitting by water's edge on Lake Michigan when living in Chicago, staring out to the endless horizon, or peering intently down into the murky depths, listening to the seagulls and the sometimes whispering (but more often bellowing) winds -- and I knew with absolute certainty I was not alone, even tho there was nary another soul within a mile of me in any direction!

What on Earth was that horrifying hover craft all about????? Lest it was there as target practice for all you yachters ... teeheehee!

jin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FUFF!!!

I hope fur baked you a cake?!!?

I heard you're 21 like me, too!?

;-)

Citymouse said...

At times I belive you are the bravest person I know!

CCCCppppCCppp said...

Happy Birthday Princess Fuff!

Many Happy Returns of the Day!

XXX
OOO

fairsCaPe

Fuff said...

EC - I dunno really but it freaks me out in a not very nice way! The hovercraft was military and scary indeed. They had a good look at me taking pictures of them and thankfully I wasn't arrested for doing so!

Jin - Thank yoooooooou! Naa, 32. Arse :) xxx

City Mouse - I've fooled you then! :)

Fairscape - Thank yooooooooou xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks Fur. How did you know it was my birthday, by the way?

:)