The first leg of of the single handed Velux 5 Oceans race began this afternoon from Bilbao, Spain - Freemantle, Western Australia.Along with another 5 world class racers, Robin Knox Johnston was also on the start line.
He became the first person to circumnavigate the world, solo and non stop almost 40 years ago, with his little ketch 'Suhaili' and at the age of 67, he's doing it again, albeit with a few ports inbetween this time.
His Open 60 yacht, aptly named 'Grey Power' and sponsored by Saga (sex and games for the aged) is all he will be able to rely on, aside from himself and his shore team.
Regardless of whether he wins or not, I hope he manages to finish.
Growing old is inevitable, but this has got to be a perfect example of how growing up is always an option.
4 comments:
Hurrah for RKJ!
It amazes me that one person can sail such big bowts.
I'm in awe!
Growing old is not inevitable! I am covering my ears now!!! "la la la la" Even if you do with with style and grace!
Nice one F! :o))
Charlie - How dare you! Besides, it's Johnston :P
Bead - I wonder how they do it. Amazing really.
City Mouse - Only joking, of course you'll never age, but make sure you're in bed by midnight or Santa won't leave you any presents :)
Rob - Thanks :) When are you getting ready for the next Vendée?
Post a Comment