Friday, October 27

Switch off

I rarely, if ever watch television. Especially not ever patronising, biased news programmes. I get the information I want through the web, without having to go through half an hour of one sickly and cringeworthy presenter or another. It's all gets a bit much for my blood pressure.
The news in Greece is entertainment in its own entity. I was an avid follower of the daily animated rows through an almost 2 hour programme. Politicians and journalists spilling their guts in little windows, the frontman/woman utterly incapable of reigning anyone in or maintaining a sense of decorum, or structure. It was fab and I miss it.
I flicked through a few channels earlier, slightly bored and not feeling quite well enough for a night out on the tiles.
It was disturbing to see how many 'lifestyle' programmes are kicking about on the tube. Families hanging out their dirty laundry, exhibiting their many problems like some sort of grubby back street cafe trophy or sending their children off to camps in order to learn how not to behave like rabid dogs.
Is this entertainment? Watching a few hacks and corrupt politicians tear strips off one another is one thing, but everyday people jumping on the prime time bandwagon, casting aside any dignity they ever had is demoralising and I find it sad.
It'll be a while before I brave the remote control again.

17 comments:

x said...

you know, we have a channel now where the actual news is celebrities and parties and rich people's divorces. and the earth shattering events like "earthquake kills 10.000 people" is just a scrolling text under the glitterati.

Middle Child said...

Just stick to comedies and you'll be okay

Dan said...

Fuff, I get the biased news through the web as well. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yup, Fuff, you were right the first time. It is pretty sad. Can I suggest a good book as an alternative ? Am reading the Gabriel Garcia Marquez memoir at the mo. That man writes like a dream....

rob said...

Fuff Have you a site address for RKJ`s world attempt! I`m rather hoping for a similar site to the vendee globe successful attempt of Dame whats her name? Eileen Macavoy is it? :o))

Pat said...

Couldn't have said it better myself Fuff. Pure drivel on the screen these days, in my opinion. Scary to think what it says about humankind...

jin said...

I rarely watch tv. :-P

Hope you are both feeling better!

Citymouse said...

television?? the devil I tell you!

Overboard said...

I wish I had access to the internet. :((((((((((((((
I'm having to read for a change.
Learning too much.
Must dumb down....m u s t...

Overboard said...

I'm BAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! Albeadit at lower speed. Now all the world needs is Fuff blogging again.

Pat said...

Fuff: Ewe awight???????

Overboard said...

You might as well 'switch off' this blog.
:)

Pynchon said...

Ah... TV. The opium of the masses. Or is that religion?

jin said...

Just zooooooming through to say: "Hello!"

Overboard said...

You should toss some mothballs into this blog to protect your old posts from getting eaten.

Godinla said...

You have to stick to sports and cooking shows. Remember to switch channels quickly during commercials.

Cheshire Cat said...

I don't watch TV at all, for essentially the reasons you've mentioned. I often garner odd looks and baffled queries as to what I could possibly fill my time with if not the boob tube.

Haven't caught up on your posts, but read enough to know you've been ill -- hope you're well on the road to recovery.