Sunday, October 8

Time and tide

Made me think of Jaws
The thought of vegetating in front of a DVD on Friday night was enough to make me drag myself out of bed, get ready and go out. I wished I'd stayed in after sitting amongst a group of morose, gale bound boaty people; lamenting the end of the Summer and the inevitable slog of Winter work ahead.
The season is officially over. More and more boats are letting go for the last time until Spring, for the trip to a yard somewhere to be lifted out, scrubbed, antifouled and generally messed about with for the next few months.
We are keeping ours in the water. She'll come out for a couple of weeks of tinkering and a new bottom, but this year, we're going to take any good weather opportunity to get out sailing. Not, however for the 'R' word if I have my way.
Tides this weekend have been huge. I've never seen the buoy in the picture dragged down so far by such a fast running ebb before.
This was good news for children crabbing on the quay today. They were flipping the little sideways beasties out quicker than they could cast their lines. I felt guilty for laughing when one angrily nipped its captor, that is until it was dropped from a height and into a bucket.

7 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

Sailing sounds wonderful, not sure about kids with the crabs, though.

Anonymous said...

Time to head down under for the Sydney to Hobart race then

jin said...

So, I'm assuming you're South of 'the midlands'? (Hope I said that right? LOL) Do you get snow there ever?

Fuff said...

TPK - Sailing's great. Hahahahahaha!

Mummified - LOL. If I want to go out and get wet, exhausted and terrified, I can do it right here. It'll be about time your Summer pitched up soon... Have a good one.

Jin - Yeah perfick :) We're on the south coast. Some areas get snow but we don't often as we have the Isle of Wight sheltering us. I'm not sure whether that'a a good or a bad thing.

The Dog of Freetown said...

Crabbing. Such a strange and terrifying activity. Why do crabs like bacon? That's what I want to know.

rob said...

Tides were the highest I have ever seen them at Brighton today with the sales pontoon surface between the east and west jetty actually higher than the walkway along the top of the retaining wall to the ground floor flats! only another 9 inches to go and the big FFFF occurs, wow!

Fuff said...

Kieran - Funny the bacon thing, although it is quite stinky; and how were Proctor and Gamble ever to know that their little string detergent holders were going to become the best bait bags ever?

Rob - I can imagine. They've been pretty huge here. Had a lot of fun discussing what to do with the boat if we had any kind of surge though :)

Charlie - It was massive.