Friday, April 27

Squeak

At night, the noise of squeaking rats on the balcony below is becoming quite peturbing.
One in particular runs around and down the stairs as part of his ratty routine every night. I don't like the fact that they are charging about under my nose and that I just heard another reminder of exactly that as I type.
Marinas get rats. I understand that, but in the 5 years we have been here, we've not been accustomed to this rather vocal presence.
Corpses or ex-rats are also appearing on a regular basis. Flattened roadkill victims on speedhumps and in gutters every week are definitely on the rise. I've also noticed a few scampering around on the pontoons.
Judging by the size of the ones I've seen, the local cats probably avoid, rather than hunt them.
I don't fear them, but if they learn to free climb high walls, I may well begin to.

5 comments:

Overboard said...

Hahhaahaahh
That is such a funny picture.
Gonna nick it.
Tee hee.

Pat said...

Yikes! Like you, I don't fear mice or rats either. We don't get much of that here, 'cept out in the country where field mice are plentiful. But we do have similar problems with (and numbers of) ground hogs.

And of late, our squirrel population here in Denver (another rodent) seems to be carrying around the Bubonic Plague (no lie!).

I've been thinking: if we could transport the feral cat population prevalent here at the Redneck Yacht Club to the areas where the Bubonic squirrels are at -- we might just be able to kill two birds (two species?) with one stone!!

Yes - I know I'm evil. I've long ago accepted that!

Fuff said...

Jeeeez Pat, squirrels carrying plague? Heaven forbid.
These blighters carry leptospirosis (Wyles Disease) which in comparison to your bushy tailed pals is a far swifter and less horrific end, albeit highly unpleasant.
However. Now that you mention cats, one has been stalking them and I suspect may have caught a few.
Whilst sitting in the yot club tonight I was quite alarmed at the fact that more than one rat trotted along the balcony without a care in the world and even crept up to the window for a look. My friend was not impressed!
Time something drastic was done about methinks!

Citymouse said...

ekkk.. i was in new orleans and almost walked across a dead rat--- not something i am use to seeing... eekkkk

Lulu (Dan's cat) said...

OH BOY!! A mouse! I finally found one! How can I get it? How can I get it? This is starting to really piss me off!!

MEOW!!